National Chemical Laboratory, Pune
- President of Global Research Alliance, a network of publicly funded R&D Institutes from Asia-Pacific, Europe and USA with over 60,000 scientists
- Former Director General of Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Recipient of Padmashri in 1991 and Padmabhushan in 2000
- Third Indian Engineer who was elected (1998) as Fellow of Royal Society
(FRS), London in the twentieth century
- Recipient of S.S. Bhatnagar Prize (1982), Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Technology Award (1991), G.D. Birla Scientific Research Award (1993), Material Scientist of Year Award (2000), HRD Excellence Award (2002), Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence in Public Administration and Management Sciences (2002) and many others.
- Spearheaded the successful challenge to the US patent on the use of turmeric for wound healing and also the patent on Basmati rice